Saturday, January 25, 2014

Loose, relaxed brushwork II

Alstadt - Salzburg, Austria  SOLD
A few summers ago my husband and I spent time traveling by train and car through Germany and Austria. Driving through a portion of the Alps was not as hair-raising as I'd worried it would be (I'm not fond of heights!)... and our destination, Salzburg, was one of the most beautiful cities I've ever visited.

We were there during the Festival -- music was EVERYWHERE.

This painting is from a photo I took as we walked to an afternoon performance of Mozart quintets.

While it may look a bit more structured than some of my other 'loose' paintings, I did this without any preliminary drawing or pencil guidelines.

I find that it helps to have a good brush that has a nice, responsive 'spring' to it.

No comments: