Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Painting dilemma

Reference photo, 3/2012
Sometimes I get in a rut with a painting. For several months, I've been working on a scene based on some photos I took in Puerto Rico last year. I did a small study first, then decided I'd work on a larger version (22" x 15").

Everything was going well, but then I had to set the painting aside and devote my attention elsewhere. When I finally returned to it, my enthusiasm, or my focus, or something was out of whack.  In particular, wasn't happy with the effect of shadows on the white plaster.

I set the painting aside for a few days, hoping for inspiration the next time I went into my studio. When I did, I decided to work more loosely and allow the paint and water to mingle freely on the paper. The finished painting measures 13" x 18", and is available via my DPW auction.

No comments: