Thursday, May 7, 2015

Fast and loose I

About ten years ago I took a painting workshop in Vermont, and was stymied by the instructor's repeated reminder that, in watercolor, the artist should "get in, and get out!" In other words -- stop worrying about the details. I've long been determined to free myself of this worry but it's tough! Details seem overwhelmingly important, so I want to paint everything. With a tiny brush! (my painting, "Orchard Offering" in the banner above, is a good example of my penchant for detail...)

Often, though, when I approach a painting in this way, I'm frustrated with the results. So now I'm trying to teach myself to be comfortable with painting "fast and loose" -- to splash around with a lot of water and a lot of paint. It's fun, and intriguing to see how the colors mingle -- the problem is that too much water/pigment usually means buckled, warped paper. To avoid this, I've switched to 300-lb. paper for most of my paintings. It's more expensive than 140-lb. paper, but it is so forgiving that it's worth the extra cost. I can now stop thinking about ditsy details, and concentrate on form and color. Yesterday, I was down to my last 22" x 30" sheet of Arches 300-lb. paper, but then I received a shipment of 300-lb. Fabriano Uno soft press (from Cheap Joe's -- my favorite online supplier). 

I wanted to use up that last piece of Arches, however, so I cut it up in smaller pieces and this morning I began what I hope will be a successful fast and loose painting. Several years ago I took photos of a peony blossom, all delicate ruffles in pink and white. It reminds me of a ballerina's tutu. 

I've spent about 30 minutes on it so far and I think it is going in the right direction. You can see the photo I'm working from, along with the tip of my favorite #16 Robert Simmons Sienna round brush! (available through Cheap Joe's) I decided to forgo most of the gauzy white background, but will probably add a stem and a leaf or two. I'll also keep the left side of the painting lighter than the right, since most of the color in the blossom is on the left.  Stay tuned!!!



No comments: