Saturday, May 23, 2015

Summer's lease finis...

After several fits and starts, I settled down to complete this painting. Lots of different greens/browns/yellows/some blue/even some violet, applied multiple times. Several washes of clear water on the lake to smooth out some too-clearly-defined reflections, and then more glazing on the lake surface to brighten the color. I'm always surprised to note the contrast between bright, juicy wet paint and that same paint once it's dried.

While the nitsy part of me wanted to spend even more time on detail work, I think I got out just in time. My tendency is to overwork a painting, and I'm trying to break myself of that.

The title derives from a line in Sonnet 18 (Wm. Shakespeare) which begins, "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" 

Summer's Lease    10.5" x 15.5"  sold

No comments: