Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Family History Watercolors -- Lucy Jane (Lee) Benson (1828-1927)...

I have been working on a series of watercolor sketches, using a collection of family photos as my references. These photos go back to the mid-1860s. My third great-grandmother sat for this portrait in about 1865, along with her husband and four of her five surviving children. I thought it would be interesting to render these images in watercolor...   I'll post my progress in stages. My first step was to lightly outline in pencil the details of her face, hands, and dress in order to get the proportions as correct as possible. The palette is a limited one -- mostly Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Cobalt Blue, and Permanent Rose. My brushes are #4 and #6 pointed round, and the paper is #140 Lanaquarelle cold press.
Step #1 - Lucy Jane (Lee) Benson

Reference photo

Step #2 - Lucy Jane (Lee) Benson










No comments: