Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Inspiration: Pumpkins...

"Pumpkin Patch" 
transparent watercolor    10.25" x 6.5"

Pumpkins are an appealing subject for many artists. And no matter how trite or predictable they may seem, at this time of year I find them hard to resist -- especially when combined with fall foliage and New England's rural architecture. A recent trip to western Massachusetts resulted in a few photographs which, when combined with my file photos taken at Old Sturbridge Village, inspired a quick watercolor study. It's an imaginary scene I've titled "Pumpkin Patch." 

For this painting I used a fairly limited palette consisting of Winsor & Newton Sepia, Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, Yellow Ochre, French Ultramarine, and Mineral Violet -- and a bit of Holbein Brilliant Orange. I completed the painting pretty much freehand (although I sketched in a few roof lines with pencil to minimize distortion in the buildings perspective). I used just one brush --  #8 Da Vinci Cosmotop Spin brush, although I did put in a few tree-branch details with a #2 Cheap Joe's Golden Fleece Rigger. 

Here are a few of the photo images I used for inspiration...







No comments: